Slip and Fall
Las Vegas Dog Bite Attorneys
Dog Bites are common and pose a serious risk of harm for victims. An estimated 4.7 million dog bites occur in the United States each year. Of those nearly 800,000 require medical care. Estimates show the cost to treat will exceed one billion dollars annually and, unfortunately, the problem is rapidly growing. Sadly, about half the victims are children between the ages of 5 and 9. Dog bites are the second most common cause of childhood injury, surpassing playground accidents.
Depending on the circumstances involved and the nature of the attack, dog bite cases and compensation can vary drastically. If you have injuries from a dog bite accident, you should speak immediately with an experienced Nevada dog bite lawyer at Valiente Mott.
Dog Bite Statistics in the United States
Estimates show that close to 50 percent of the households in America have at least one dog living in them. Many of those households have more than one dog because the total dog population is about 80 million. Given the size of the dog population, the following statistics about dog bites should not come as a surprise:
- Approximately 4.7 million dog bites occur each year in the United States.
- Almost 800,000 individuals each year require medical treatment for injuries suffered in an attack by a dog or by multiple dogs.
- Most dog bite incidents appear to occur during April through September each year.
- Victims suffer approximately 16,500 dog bites each year in work-related incidents.
- Hospital emergency departments treat an estimated 334,000 people each year for injuries related to dog bites.
- An estimated 6,000 dog bite victims are hospitalized each year because of the severity of their injuries.
- The chances of becoming the victim of a dog bite appear to be the same for both men and women.
- The highest rate of injury in dog attacks occur with children between five and nine years of age.
- Dogs are more likely to attack young boys, 14 years of age and younger, more than girls of the same age.
Reported Injuries from Dog Attacks
Of the hundreds of thousands of reported dog bite incidents each year, the following are the most common injuries:
- Arm and hand injuries account for 45 percent of dog bites.
- Leg and foot injuries occur in 26 percent of the dog attacks.
- Head and neck injuries happen in 23 percent of the dog bites.
- Individuals 15 years of age or older suffered an injury to the extremities 86 percent of the time.
- 40 percent of all dog bite patients received puncture wounds.
- 25 percent of all dog bite patients incurred lacerations.
- Abrasions, contusions, and hematoma account for 6 percent of patients seeking treatment
for dog attacks.
Scarring is also a serious injury that occurs from dog bites. The most frequent target area of dog attacks is in face, including the lips, nose, and cheeks. These wounds can result in disfiguring scars that can have lifelong consequences, especially in children. Additionally, facial scars and scars on other parts of the body can require repeated painful and expensive plastic surgeries.
A study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association reported that fatalities from dog bites are relatively rare. The conclusion drawn by the authors of the study was that dogs kept as pets form an attachment and dependency on humans that makes it less likely for them to attack; and, conversely, dogs that do not have this relationship with humans are more likely to attack in stressful situations to protect themselves.
The aforementioned list deals only with physical wounds. There is also a chance that a dog bite victim may suffer emotionally. If the victim is a young child the chance of a long-lasting fear of dogs, fear of leaving the house, and separation anxiety are even higher.
Nevada Dog Bite Laws
According to the law, dog owners are responsible for their dog’s actions and homeowner’s insurance will pay for the damages. On a typical year, dog bites account for about one third of homeowners’ insurance claims.
Nevada does not have an explicit law or statute relating to dog bite liability. However, there is a statute regarding dangerous and vicious dogs. According to Nevada Revised Statute § 202.500, a “dangerous dog” is any dog that, “[w]ithout provocation, on two separate occasions within 18 months” behaves “menacingly, to a degree that would lead a reasonable person to defend himself or herself against substantial bodily harm when the dog was [o]ff the premises of its owner or keeper; or [n]ot confined in a case, pen or vehicle.” A dog is considered “vicious” if “[w]ithout being provoked, it killed or inflicted substantial bodily harm upon a human being; or [a]fter its owner or keeper had been notified by a law enforcement agency that the dog is dangerous, the dog continued the [dangerous] behavior.”
Any dog bite or attack that results in an injury is sufficient grounds for filing a personal injury claim. Owners can be held liable to compensate victims for any physical or emotional damages if it is the owner’s negligence led to the injury.
Our experienced attorneys at Valiente Mott are prepared to handle your dog bite case. By working with you to file a personal injury claim, we can determine the extent of negligence involved, the past behavior of the dog and owner in question, and any other facts and information relevant to the case.
Compensation for Dog Bites
The physical and emotional harm caused by a dog bite could leave you with medical expenses, lost earnings, rehabilitation costs, pain and suffering, and other damages. If you or a member of your family is injured in an attack by a dog, you may be entitled to compensation from the owner of the dog or from the owner of the property. Our experienced attorneys at Valiente Mott are prepared to handle your dog bite case and will explain to you the compensation you may be entitled to recover.
We would like to hear from you so we can provide you with a free evaluation. It’s best to always consult with an Injury Lawyer for any type of legal advice regarding your injuries.
Our Las Vegas Injury Lawyers will even come to you for a free consultation. If you have a question or you are just not sure about putting together a case, let our Las Vegas Injury Law Firm help with your concerns. No fee unless we win.
Contact us today at 702-623-2323 for a FREE CONSULTATION
Valiente Mott is a law firm dedicated to helping personal injury victims. We handle all personal injury matters, including, but not limited to, car crashes, defective products, and catastrophic injury. We are compassionate, yet aggressive when protecting personal injury victims and families who lost loved ones in fatal accidents. Learn more about who we are.
Hablamos Español. Consulta gratuita.
Personal Injury Attorney in Salt Lake City, UT
2975 West Executive Parkway, Suite 164
Lehi UT 84043