Since 2017, the popularity of electric scooters has been on the rise, and for good reasons. Electric scooters are practical, eco-friendly, and light-weight—perfect for the modern American looking to navigate through heavy, city traffic.
With the advent of e-scooter companies like Lime and Bird, scooters are also becoming more readily available in American cities. All you need to do is walk a block, or perhaps across the street, and you’ll likely see one or more electric scooters ready to be scooped up for a ride.
With the prevalence of the electric scooter, comes a host of other problems. One of these problems is the rise of electric scooter accident rates.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some electric scooter accident statistics, ways to avoid an e-scooter accident, what to do in the event of an accident, and more.
About electric scooter accidents
The number of motor scooter crashes since 2017 is staggering. According to EurekaAlert, “The number of scooter-related injuries and hospital admissions in the United States grew by 222 percent between 2014 and 2018 to more than 39,000 injuries.” A separate study by the CDC calculates that for every 100,000 e-scooter trips taken, 20 individuals will end up with some sort of injury. This same study, which surveyed a sample number of injured e-scooter riders, highlighted other interesting findings including:
- 48% of those injured were between the ages of 18-29
- 33% of those injured were first-time riders
- 38% of those injured mentioned they would ride an e-scooter again
- Nearly half of those injured sustained a severe injury
- The time frame to most likely get injured is between 6 pm-6 am
Since electric scooters are still a relatively new mode of transportation, health officials and experts are beginning to conduct more studies on the impacts and risks of electric scooters on public safety.
How to avoid electric scooter accidents
Whether it’s a Bird or a Lime scooter accident, you’ll want to take necessary precautions to avoid such an incident. Here are some steps you can take to help prevent these collisions:
- Check your scooter: Ensure your scooter is functioning as it should. It might be a good idea to do a quick test run in close vicinity before heading out of the area.
- Ride on the street: Protect yourself and other pedestrians by riding on the street rather than on the sidewalk.
- Avoid sharing a scooter: The chances of being involved in a Lime or Bird scooter accident rises significantly when tandem riding.
- Wear a helmet: While helmets may not be the law (yet) in certain states, it’s always wise to put one on while operating an e-scooter. Simply put, helmets save lives.
What to do if you’re in an electric scooter accident
You’re zooming along in your Bird e-scooter and end up getting into an accident. What are your next steps?
First, you should check for any injuries sustained when involved in a Lime or Bird accident. Be especially careful with any head, neck, or back injuries.
Even if you don’t feel any pain at the time, still seek medical attention. Lime or Bird scooter injuries can show up days after the accident.
Immediately call 9-1-1 if a serious accident with injuries occurs. Even if you don’t suspect any injuries, it’s a good idea to call law enforcement, especially if the accident involves another party.
If you are able, move to a safe location away from the heavy vehicle or pedestrian traffic. You and your scooter can be a hazard in and of itself, so move aside to avoid further injuries.
Ensure you report the accident accurately to the police and secure any witness contacts. Take plenty of photos to document the collision.
Depending on the nature of the accident, various legal outcomes will arise, as we’ll see in the next section.
Legal outcomes of electric scooter accidents
Legal outcomes of accidents on Bird scooters, Lime scooters, or any other motorized scooter, will depend largely on who was involved and who is at fault.
Here are some possible scenarios:
- E-scooter hits a vehicle: If an e-scooter swerved erratically causing an accident with another vehicle on the road, the e-scooter is at fault in this case. The rider of the scooter will need to pay for the damages incurred on the vehicle.
- E-scooter hits a pedestrian: Likewise, if an E-scooter errantly crashes into a pedestrian, the rider is liable for any injuries sustained by the pedestrian.
- A vehicle hits an e-scooter: In this scenario, if a vehicle hits an e-scooter and was at fault, the driver of the vehicle must compensate the e-scooter rider. The driver of the vehicle can cover damages through their car insurance.
Note that e-scooter companies do not carry any sort of liability coverage for renters. Additionally, your car insurance generally does not cover any vehicle with less than four wheels (i.e. electric scooters).
With no insurance coverage, the e-scooter driver takes on tremendous risk if they are found at fault in an accident.
Consequences and injuries from scooter accidents
The consequences and injuries from scooter accidents can be significant.
In a study conducted by researchers at the Indiana University School of Medicine, the most common type of CT scans ordered involved the head, face, and cervical spine. Traumatic brain injury, which includes concussion and internal bleeding, can also result from e-scooter accidents.
Asides from brain injury, here are other common injury types as a result of scooter collisions:
- Bone fractures to arms and legs
- Abrasions and lacerations to upper and lower limbs
- Nerve or ligament injuries
- Severe bleeding
In the worst-case scenario, death can also be a consequence of scooter accidents.
If you were recently involved with an electric scooter accident and require legal assistance, contact the Las Vegas personal injury attorney team Valiente Mott today. We offer a free case consultation on all personal injury-related matters.
Before you pick up the phone to call your insurance company, speak with us first. We’ll provide you with legal advice and the best ways to deal with insurance to earn the maximum amount on your settlement.
Valiente Mott is a law firm dedicated to helping personal injury victims. We handle all personal injury matters, including, but not limited to, car crashes, defective products, and catastrophic injury. We are compassionate, yet aggressive when protecting personal injury victims and families who lost loved ones in fatal accidents. Learn more about who we are.
Hablamos Español. Consulta gratuita.
Personal Injury Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
Personal Injury Attorney in Salt Lake City, UT
2975 West Executive Parkway, Suite 164
Lehi UT 84043