Slip and Fall
We all know that dogs are known as a man’s best friend, but thousands of people per year find out the hard way that they can also inflict serious injuries when they attack you. If you were attacked and/or bitten by a dog, you may have grounds to recover financial compensation via a dog bite lawsuit. Call Valiente Mott today to schedule a free case review. We can investigate your case and gather the evidence necessary to prove liability for your injuries on the part of the animal or property owner.
Dog Bite Victims Are Often Seriously Injured
Victims of dog bites and dog attacks can suffer serious, life-changing, or even life-threatening injuries. Some of the injuries commonly associated with dog bites and attacks include:
- Severe cuts and lacerations
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Psychological injuries, such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Neck, back, and spinal cord injuries
- Head injuries such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Bone breaks and fractures
Nevada Dog Bite Claims
An experienced Nevada dog bites lawyer knows that laws regarding canine attacks vary from state to state, and sometimes even from city to city within each state. In Nevada, the owner of the dog may be liable for your injuries if at least one of the following elements have been met:
- The dog fits Nevada’s legal definition of a “dangerous dog”
- The dog is “vicious” pursuant to Nevada law
- Your Las Vegas dog bites lawyer can prove that the owner of the dog was negligent in handling the dog
An experienced Reno dog bites lawyer will be familiar with how Nevada defines these key terms. According to Nevada Revised Statute 202.500, a dog is defined as:
- Dangerous if, without provocation, on two separate occasions within the last 18 months, it behaved menacingly … when the dog was off the premises of its owner or not confined in a vehicle, cage, or pen
- Vicious if, without provocation, it killed or inflicted substantial bodily harm upon a human being; or after its owner had been notified by law enforcement that the dog is dangerous, the dog continued to behave menacingly
- Not to be deemed dangerous or vicious based solely on the breed of the dog, or because of a defensive act against a person who was attempting to commit a crime or provoking the dog
Utah Dog Bite Claims
The law in Utah is less forgiving for dog owners and more favorable for dog bite victims than it is in Nevada. Your Salt Lake City dog bite lawyer can fully explain Utah Code 18-1-1, which tells us that:
- The dog owner is liable for any injuries caused by the dog whether the dog is vicious or mischievous; and whether or not the owner knew that it was vicious or mischievous. This bars the claim on the part of the owner that they are not liable because the dog had never attacked anyone before.
- The dog owner is not liable for any injuries caused by the dog if, at the time of the attack, the dog was properly acting in an official capacity on behalf of law enforcement
- The owner of a dog is not liable for any injuries caused by the dog if the attack occurred on the owner’s private property while the dog is reasonably secured within a fence or other enclosure
Contact a Utah dog bite lawyer at Valient Mott to discuss for free your legal options.
Here is What You Should Do if You Have Been Attacked by a Dog
Naturally, if you are unexpectedly attacked and injured by a dog, it may be challenging to think calmly and rationally. However, if you are capable of doing so, there are several steps that you can take in the immediate aftermath of the attack to maximize the financial value of your dog bite claim:
- Call the police and ensure that they create an incident report
- Seek medical attention even if you do not feel any pain, as some serious injuries do not always surface right away
- Ask the owner if the dog is current on its shots, especially for rabies
- Write down the name, address, and phone number of the dog’s owner and any eyewitnesses to the attack
- Take pictures of your injuries, the dog that attacked you, the exact location of the attack, and any clothing or property that was damaged during the attack
- Schedule a consultation with an experienced dog bite lawyer. This meeting will inform you as to an estimated financial value of your claim, so you will know whether or not any settlement offer the defendant makes is reasonable
- Start a daily journal where you document the amount of physical and emotional pain you are experiencing, any limitations you face due to your injuries, and anything you did that day – such as attending physical therapy – to help treat your injuries
We Fight for Justice
Our attorneys at Valiente Mott take pride in standing up for the rights of innocent dog bite victims and taking the fight to the defendant. You did not ask to be attacked by a dog, and you deserve justice and maximum financial compensation for the injuries you have incurred.
If you have been bitten or attacked by a dog in Nevada or Utah, call Valiente Mott today to book a complimentary consultation. We charge no attorney fees unless you win your case.
We would like to hear from you so we can provide you with a free evaluation. It’s best to always consult with an Injury Lawyer for any type of legal advice regarding your injuries.
Our dog bite lawyers will even come to you for a free consultation. If you have a question or you are just not sure about putting together a case, let our law firm help with your concerns. No fee unless we win.
Valiente Mott is a law firm dedicated to helping personal injury victims. We handle all personal injury matters, including, but not limited to, car crashes, defective products, and catastrophic injury. We are compassionate, yet aggressive when protecting personal injury victims and families who lost loved ones in fatal accidents. Learn more about who we are.
Hablamos Español. Consulta gratuita.
Personal Injury Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
Personal Injury Attorney in Salt Lake City, UT
2975 West Executive Parkway, Suite 164
Lehi UT 84043