Las Vegas is the world’s entertainment capital, and the city’s logistical needs are immense. Commercial trucks play an essential role in keeping the city up and running. Further, they are a crucial part of the supply chain for countless industries. However, despite their importance, large commercial vehicles also pose serious risks. When they collide with other drivers, the injuries can be severe.
If you were hurt in a Las Vegas truck crash, you have the right to seek legal counsel. A Las Vegas truck accident lawyer from Valiente Mott could work with you to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.
How Valiente Mott Approaches Truck Accidents
When it comes to handling truck accident claims, our law firm stands out for several compelling reasons:
- Experience in Truck Accident Claims: Our Las Vegas personal injury attorneys have specific knowledge in truck accident litigation, possessing a deep understanding of the complexities unique to these cases. They are well-versed in the specific regulations governing the trucking industry, the dynamics of truck accidents, and the nuances of liability and insurance issues in these cases.
- Unparalleled Customer Service: Clients involved in truck accidents often face significant stress and uncertainty. Our firm offers exceptional customer service, providing clients with direct text lines for easy communication and ensuring our staff and attorneys are readily available for consultations. Our approach is especially important in truck accident cases where timely information and reassurance can be crucial.
- Proven Track Record of Success: Our firm has a strong history of securing favorable outcomes in truck accident claims. Our success stems from our attorneys’ rigorous approach to case preparation, negotiation skills, and their ability to present compelling arguments in court.
- Comprehensive Case Management: We understand that truck accident claims involve various complexities, including dealing with large trucking companies and their insurers. Our firm handles every aspect of these claims, from investigating the accident, gathering evidence, and managing all communications with insurance companies, to ensuring clients receive the medical care and compensation they deserve.
Types Of Truck Accidents
The fact patterns of each truck accident are very different. Our Las Vegas truck accident lawyers can advise you on the most common types of commercial vehicle collisions.
- Rollover crashes: Rollover accidents are especially dangerous, as a rolling commercial vehicle could strike numerous vehicles across multiple lanes of traffic.
- Jackknife accidents: A jackknife accident occurs when a truck operator loses control of their vehicle and slides sideways. These accidents earn their name because trucks that slide sideways fold in on each other like a pocket knife.
- Rear-end collision: If a truck driver fails to slow or stop in time, they could collide with the rear of the car in front of them.
- Underride accidents: Underride accidents are unique to large vehicles. These accidents occur when a smaller passenger vehicle becomes trapped beneath the commercial truck’s trailer.
- Head-on collisions: Few truck accidents are more severe than a head-on collision. These accidents often occur at high speed, and the enormous size of the commercial truck results in extensive damage.
- Side-impact collisions: A truck could be involved in a side-impact crash in two ways. First, it could strike the side of a vehicle that crosses its path. Second, it could sideswipe a vehicle traveling alongside the truck.
Consulting with a Las Vegas car accident lawyer can help when addressing the unique complexities and nuances associated with each type of crash to secure the best possible outcome for their clients.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
The location of the impact will largely determine where injuries occur and their severity—some of the most common include:
- Broken arms or legs: Often resulting from the force of impact in truck accidents, these injuries can range from simple fractures to complex breaks requiring surgical intervention.
- Traumatic brain injuries: Caused by blows or jolts to the head during truck accidents, these can range from mild concussions to severe brain damage with long-term effects.
- Internal bleeding: High-impact collisions in truck accidents can cause internal organs to be damaged, leading to potentially life-threatening internal bleeding.
- Severe burns: These can occur in truck accidents involving fires or explosions, leading to painful injuries that may require extensive treatment and can leave permanent scars.
- Lacerations: Sharp debris or broken glass in truck accidents can cause deep cuts, posing risks of infection and requiring immediate medical attention.
- Bruising: Blunt trauma during truck accidents can lead to significant bruising, which can sometimes indicate more serious underlying injuries.
- Paralysis: Severe spinal injuries in truck accidents can lead to partial or complete paralysis, drastically altering a victim’s life and requiring lifelong care.
- Amputation: In extreme cases, limbs may be severely injured or crushed in truck accidents, leading to surgical amputation.
- Spinal cord damage: Spinal cord injuries in truck accidents can range from herniated discs to permanent spinal cord damage, potentially resulting in chronic pain or mobility issues.
It is important to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. You protect your legal claim and ensure your recovery from your injuries. Once you have met with a doctor and are following the treatment plan, it is time to discuss your legal options with our team.
Possible Compensation After A Crash
If your truck accident injury lawsuit is successful, you might be entitled to an array of compensation. It varies depending on the extent of your injury as well as other factors. Some of the types of damages you might be entitled to include:
- Past and future medical bills Truck accident victims often face substantial medical bills, both for immediate treatment and ongoing care, including surgeries, rehabilitation, and long-term therapy.
- Lost wages Victims frequently incur lost wages due to the inability to work during their recovery period following a truck accident.
- Diminished future earnings Serious injuries from truck accidents can impact the victim’s capacity to earn in the future, leading to claims for diminished future earnings.
- Pain and suffering Compensation for pain and suffering addresses the physical pain and discomfort endured by victims as a result of their injuries from the truck accident.
- Disability Truck accidents can lead to permanent disabilities, significantly altering a victim’s lifestyle and necessitating compensation for the long-term challenges faced.
- Disfigurement Severe truck accidents can result in disfigurement, for which victims may seek compensation due to the physical and psychological impact.
- Emotional distress The trauma of experiencing a truck accident often leads to emotional distress, including anxiety, depression, and PTSD, warranting compensation for mental anguish.
You might have a viable case for specific damages you had not previously considered. That is why it is so important to discuss your case with skilled legal counsel. We can evaluate your claim and help you determine what it might be worth.
Hours Of Service Truck Regulations
Truck accident claims are deeply influenced by specific regulations and laws. Key among these are the Hours of Service (HOS) regulations, mandated by federal law in CFR Title 49, §395 which limit the number of consecutive hours a truck driver can operate. These rules are designed to prevent accidents caused by driver fatigue. Additionally, strict vehicle maintenance standards and cargo loading rules play a significant role. These standards ensure that trucks are in safe operating condition and that their cargo is securely loaded, reducing the risk of accidents caused by mechanical failures or cargo shifts.
Determining liability often hinges on whether these regulations were followed. For instance, if a trucking company or driver violated HOS regulations, this could be a crucial factor in establishing negligence. Similarly, failure to adhere to maintenance and cargo loading standards could also indicate liability. Therefore, understanding and applying these regulations is critical for legal professionals handling truck accident claims in Las Vegas. They form the foundation for assessing compliance, negligence, and responsibility in these cases.
Proving A Las Vegas Truck Accident Claim
Negligence is a fundamental legal concept in Las Vegas truck accident claims, defining the framework within which these cases are assessed. Each element must be convincingly demonstrated to establish the liability of the truck driver or their employer and to secure appropriate compensation for the victim. A negligence claim in the context of a truck accident typically involves proving four key elements: duty of care, breach of duty, causation, and damages.
- Duty of Care: This refers to the obligation to exercise a reasonable level of care to avoid harm to others. For example, a truck driver has a duty to follow traffic laws and operate their vehicle safely to prevent accidents.
- Breach of Duty: A breach occurs when the party fails to fulfill their duty of care. In the context of a truck accident, this might involve a truck driver exceeding speed limits, driving under the influence, or failing to adhere to safety regulations, such as mandatory rest periods.
- Causation: This element connects the breach of duty directly to the accident. For instance, if a truck driver, fatigued from overworking, falls asleep at the wheel and causes a collision, it establishes a direct link between the breach (not adhering to rest regulations) and the accident.
- Damages: Finally, the victim must have suffered actual damages as a result of the breach. This can include physical injuries, property damage, medical expenses, and other losses resulting from the truck accident. For example, if a car is rear-ended by a truck, resulting in spinal injuries to the car’s driver and significant damage to the vehicle, these constitute the damages in the claim.
Recreational Vs. Commercial Truck Accidents
Commercial and recreational trucks differ significantly in their legal implications. Commercial trucks, used for business purposes like transporting goods, are subject to stringent Department of Transportation and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations, which cover driving hours, maintenance standards, and load capacities. Drivers require a Commercial Driver’s License and specific training. In contrast, recreational trucks, including pickup trucks, RVs, and campers, are used for personal activities and leisure, adhering to general traffic laws but not rigorous commercial regulations. Insurance and liability also vary; commercial trucks typically have higher coverage and liability can extend to the trucking company, whereas recreational trucks have standard personal vehicle insurance with liability resting on the individual. These distinctions are crucial in the context of accidents and legal cases, as commercial truck accidents often entail more complex legal and regulatory considerations compared to those involving recreational trucks.
Reach Out To A Las Vegas Truck Accident Attorney
If you were hurt in a truck crash, you do not have to pursue justice on your own. Our firm, Valiente Mott, is ready to serve as your steadfast advocate, bringing our extensive experience in truck accident cases to fight your legal battle. We understand the intricacies of these cases, from navigating complex insurance claims to dealing with commercial trucking regulations, ensuring that your rights are vigorously defended. If you have questions about how a Las Vegas truck accident lawyer could help, we have the answers, as shown by our proven track record of success in achieving favorable outcomes for our clients. Reach out to Valiente Mott as soon as possible for a free consultation, and let us take the burden off your shoulders, dedicating ourselves to securing the compensation and justice you deserve.