Slip and Fall
Reno attracts visitors to its casinos, resorts, restaurants, and other businesses year-round. Whether they are business invitees, social guests of a private homeowner, or on a Reno property for another reason, visitors are entitled to be reasonably safe from hazards. If property owners or tenants breach their duty to eliminate or warn of dangerous conditions, they may be liable for the slip and fall injuries that result.
If you have been injured, it does not cost anything to speak with a premises liability lawyer at Valiente Mott. We accept most cases on contingency and therefore only get paid when we secure compensation on your behalf.
Slip and Fall Accidents Are Common
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, but they are most common in service industries like those that keep Reno and other Nevada tourist destinations running. According to the CDC, slips and trips are among the top three causes of work-related injuries. More than 1 out of every 4 nonfatal work injuries that require a worker to take days off of the job are caused by slips, trips, and falls.
Slips and falls are also a problem in residences; the National Floor Safety Institute reports that half of all accidental deaths in homes are caused by falls.
Who Is Liable for a Slip and Fall Injury in Reno?
Property owners and occupiers must make their premises safe for those who enter, but they are not automatically liable for every accident that occurs. To establish legal fault, Nevada law requires a claimant to show that the defendant – usually the property landlord or tenant – was negligent. This is typically proven by showing that they knew about, or reasonably should have known about, the hazard but did not take steps to fix it or provide adequate warning.
Premises liability cases are very fact-specific and can hinge on seemingly small details. If you were a victim, an experienced Reno slip and fall accident lawyer will analyze the circumstances of your fall and gather the necessary evidence to prove fault.
Common Slip and Fall Accidents in Reno
Hotels, restaurants, casinos, and other businesses that host a lot of people passing through them invite slip and fall accidents. These places often feature:
- High volumes of foot traffic
- Slick floor surfaces
- Food, drinks, and other substances that may cause fall hazards
- Swimming pools, saunas, fountains, and other sources of water
- Public restrooms located near lobbies
Filing a Slip and Fall Accident Injury Claim
If you are contemplating filing a claim, it is a good idea to speak with a Nevada personal injury lawyer as early as possible about your rights and responsibilities. In general, the process may look like this:
- Documentation – Photograph the scene, obtain the contact information for witnesses, and write down what happened.
- Report – File a formal report if the location has a procedure for that; otherwise, inform a manager of the accident.
- Obtain medical care – If you suffer a moderate or severe injury, see a health care provider right away. If you sustain a minor injury, seek an evaluation within a day or two.
- Speak with a lawyer – You may receive calls from the property owner or their insurance company; it is a good idea to talk to a lawyer about your rights before fielding those calls.
- File a lawsuit – Statutes of limitations limit how long you have to file a lawsuit. The deadline might be even shorter if your slip and fall occurred on government property.
Speak With a Reno Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
The more prepared you are, the more likely it is that your slip and fall claim will be successful. Working with a skilled and experienced Nevada premises liability lawyer is the first step. The attorneys at Valiente Mott are here to guide you through the process. Consultations are confidential and we take most cases on a contingency basis, so you have nothing to lose by calling today.
Valiente Mott is a law firm dedicated to helping personal injury victims. We handle all personal injury matters, including, but not limited to, car crashes, defective products, and catastrophic injury. We are compassionate, yet aggressive when protecting personal injury victims and families who lost loved ones in fatal accidents. Learn more about who we are.
Hablamos Español. Consulta gratuita.
Personal Injury Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
Personal Injury Attorney in Salt Lake City, UT
2975 West Executive Parkway, Suite 164
Lehi UT 84043