Brain injuries usually have long-term repercussions. These traumatic injuries can impact your ability to handle routine tasks like driving a car, earning a living, and caring for your family. However, a civil lawsuit filed with a Salt Lake City injury lawyer at Valiente Mott could recover compensation for these losses.
If your injury resulted from the negligence of another party, now is the time to seek compensation through a civil suit. By relying on the advice of skilled legal counsel, you could find yourself in a position to maximize your recovery. Reach out to our Utah brain injury lawyers today for a free consultation.
Choose Valiente Mott For Your Salt Lake City Traumatic Brain Injury Claim
Choosing Valiente Mott for your traumatic brain injury claim in Salt Lake City means selecting a team experienced in handling complex personal injury cases. We bring a deep understanding of the legal and medical aspects of brain injuries, ensuring thorough representation. Our commitment includes navigating intricate insurance processes and fighting for fair compensation covering medical costs, lost income, and quality of life impacts. Valiente Mott’s client-focused approach means personalized service and dedicated legal support tailored to the unique aspects of your case.
Common Causes Of Severe Brain Injuries
Any impact to the head can lead to serious long-term consequences. This type of injury usually results from a number of specific circumstances. A brain injury lawyer from our firm in Salt Lake City could pursue financial compensation any time it is the result of negligence of a third party.
- Car accidents. Car accidents are the most common cause of personal injury lawsuits and are a common factor in brain injury cases.
- Gunshot wounds. Violent crimes—particularly gunshot wounds—are also a common cause of severe brain injuries.
- This includes not only falls from a great height but also slipping and falling on a slippery parking lot.
- Defective products. Brain injuries can happen in some defective product accidents–from motor vehicles to kitchen appliances.
Never assume the circumstances of your injury will not lead to financial compensation. Instead, let an injury attorney in Salt Lake City help you pursue the damages you deserve to rebuild your life.
Resolving Brain Injury Claims
When we take on a brain injury case, there are two ways we could resolve that case in your favor. Typically, we aggressively pursue a negotiated settlement with the at-fault party. When settlements fall through, the best option for securing damages is to take your case to trial. Negotiating a settlement is a common outcome in brain injury lawsuits. Often, there is little doubt about who is liable. In those cases, negotiations typically focus on the amount of reasonable damages.
However, if a settlement is impossible, your best bet is to file a civil lawsuit. If you take your case to trial and win, the court will issue a judgment in your favor.
Damages In Salt Lake City Traumatic Brain Injury Claims
When individuals file claims for damages due to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), there are several types of compensation they may seek. These damages are not just financial but also account for the emotional and life-altering impacts of the injury. Damages include:
- Medical Expenses: This covers all medical costs related to the TBI, including emergency care, hospital stays, surgeries, medications, rehabilitation, and any future medical treatments required due to the injury.
- Lost Wages and Earning Capacity: Victims often claim compensation for lost wages due to their inability to work immediately following the injury. Additionally, if the TBI affects their ability to work in the future, they may claim damages for lost earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: This non-economic damage compensates for the physical pain and emotional distress suffered due to the injury. This can include compensation for chronic pain, depression, anxiety, loss of enjoyment of life, and other psychological impacts.
- Long-Term Care and Assistance: In cases where TBIs result in long-term or permanent disability, victims can claim damages for ongoing care needs. This may include costs for in-home care services, modifications to living spaces, and specialized equipment.
- Punitive Damages: Although less common, in cases where the injury resulted from particularly reckless or negligent behavior, punitive damages might be awarded. These are intended to punish the wrongdoer and deter similar actions in the future.
The Challenge Of Proving Non-Physical Damages
Proving non-physical damages (like cognitive impairment, emotional distress, or reduced quality of life) poses significant challenges. These types of damages are often subjective and less visible than physical injuries, making them harder to quantify and substantiate in legal claims.
Cognitive impairments, which can range from memory loss to diminished problem-solving skills, require detailed medical evaluations and expert testimonies to link them directly to the TBI. Emotional distress and reduced quality of life due to a TBI are deeply personal experiences, varying greatly from one individual to another. These damages often involve psychological assessments and testimony from mental health professionals.
Demonstrating how the injury has altered the victim’s life, relationships, and emotional well-being is crucial, yet challenging, as it requires a nuanced understanding of the individual’s life before and after the injury. Legal strategies in these cases must be adept at conveying these intangible losses to ensure fair compensation.
Expert Testimony In Salt Lake City Traumatic Brain Injury Claims
Expert testimony is crucial in Salt Lake City traumatic brain injury claims. These experts, typically medical professionals and neuropsychologists, are essential for establishing the extent and impact to the brain injury. Their testimonies help illustrate how the injury affects cognitive functions, behavior, and quality of life, areas often difficult to quantify. Additionally, they can link the injury to the incident, a key factor in establishing liability. Expert insights significantly strengthen the case, providing the necessary scientific and medical basis to substantiate the claims for compensation.
Expert testimony often includes insights from rehabilitation specialists. Rehabilitation specialists can detail the long-term care and therapy needs, enhancing understanding of the injury’s ongoing impact. Their expertise is vital in presenting a comprehensive picture of the injury’s repercussions, which is fundamental in securing adequate compensation for the victim’s altered life trajectory.
Statute Of Limitations In Traumatic Brain Injury Claims
In Salt Lake City, the statute of limitations for traumatic brain injury claims is generally four (4) years from the date of the injury. This timeframe is crucial, as it sets the deadline by which a lawsuit must be filed to seek compensation. If a lawsuit is filed after this four-year period, it’s likely that the court will refuse to hear the case. Therefore, it’s essential for individuals with traumatic brain injuries to be aware of this deadline and take timely legal action if they wish to pursue a claim.
Contact Us For A Free Consultation At Valiente Mott
You don’t have to seek fair compensation on your own. When you pursue a personal injury lawsuit in Salt Lake City, you have the right to hire the most experienced attorney. The attorneys of Valiente Mott are here to help with your brain injury case. Call for a free consultation today.