Slip and Fall
Slip and fall accidents are common and, unfortunately, can leave one with a lifetime of unexpected medical bills and disabilities. Coming under the legal heading of “premises liability,” slip and fall cases range from straightforward to complex, with several parties being potentially liable in different ways for the plaintiff’s injuries.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a fall, make a free consultation with a Nevada slip and fall accident lawyer. We can explore the details of your case and clearly explain all of your legal options moving forward.
Slip and Fall Accidents Are Common
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, but they are most common in service industries like those that keep Reno and other Nevada tourist destinations running. According to the CDC, slips and trips are among the top three causes of work-related injuries. More than 1 out of every 4 nonfatal work injuries that require a worker to take days off of the job are caused by slips, trips, and falls.
Slips and falls are also a problem in residences; the National Floor Safety Institute reports that half of all accidental deaths in homes are caused by falls.
Premises Liability Accidents in Nevada
Premises liability is a type of negligence that requires a property owner or tenant renting the property to keep their premises free from dangerous conditions. This includes preventing hazardous conditions from developing on their property, such as a patch of ice or broken steps in areas open to the public or guests.
Any negligence analysis will include duty, breach, and causation:
- Duty: The defendant owed a duty to the plaintiff, such as acting as a reasonably cautious property owner;
- Breach: The defendant breached their duty, such as by allowing a large patch of ice to develop and remain in an area where they know seniors will be walking often; and
- Causation: This breach of duty caused an injury, such as a senior slipping, falling on the ice, and being injured.
This type of liability can be complicated. The person who may typically be thought of as having caused the harm, such as someone who spilled some soda or accidentally bumped a hazard into the way of another pedestrian, may not necessarily be the one legally responsible. That is why, if you are injured, it is advisable to speak with a slip and fall attorney in Nevada who is familiar with our state’s laws.
Common Slip and Fall Accidents
While these accidents can happen nearly anywhere, certain environments and conditions combine factors that make them far more likely. Some of these environments include:
- Sidewalks, particularly ones with uneven, cracked, or slippery surfaces;
- Stairs can be too steep, too narrow, broken, or not have proper safeguards like railings;
- Restaurants and bars often have wet surfaces from spills and patrons bumping into each other in crowded spaces;
- Elevators and escalators that can move suddenly or malfunction;
- Gas stations and parking lots where puddles can easily develop;
- Grocery stores where grapes, ice, liquids, or other hazards can fall and be stepped on;
- Sports arenas where fans must often climb steep steps and people are distracted;
- Decks where a coat of finish can make it a slipping hazard; and
How a Slip and Fall Attorney in Nevada Can Help
Insurance companies and potential defendants will often be quick to make an offer for less than a case is worth. This offer will often not cover the full extent of the injuries, and there could be future bills an injured party never considered.
If you or a loved one have been seriously hurt or disabled due to a fall, the Nevada personal injury lawyers at Valiente Mott can advise you of your options. Our attorneys have the proven experience in successfully advocating on behalf of the injured for the compensation they deserve. We can guide you through every step, from filing a claim to negotiating with insurance to deciding whether litigation is right for you.
Valiente Mott is a law firm dedicated to helping personal injury victims. We handle all personal injury matters, including, but not limited to, car crashes, defective products, and catastrophic injury. We are compassionate, yet aggressive when protecting personal injury victims and families who lost loved ones in fatal accidents. Learn more about who we are.
Hablamos Español. Consulta gratuita.
Personal Injury Attorney in Las Vegas, NV
700 South 7th Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101
Personal Injury Attorney in Reno, NV
5470 Kietzke Lane, Suite 300
Reno, NV 89511
Personal Injury Attorney in Salt Lake City, UT
2975 West Executive Parkway, Suite 164
Lehi UT 84043